Thursday, April 3, 2014

Training Tips That Teach Your Cat to Play Nice

THE BREGMAN VETERINARY GROUP
www.BregmanVetGroup.com

You love your cat – but it can be frustrating when they scratch or bite you or a family member.  If your cat is struggling with behavioral issues, take the time to train him or her.  While you don’t want to inhibit their biological instincts, it’s okay to discipline your cat to play nicely.  Here are a few tips to help train your cat to get along with you and your family.


  • Verbal Commands – When your cat does something it’s not supposed to - say “No!”  Don’t scare your cat by yelling, but let them know that you are serious and that what they are doing is wrong.
  • Cold Shoulder – The other option is to give your cat the silent treatment.  Stop playing and showing affection as “punishment.”
  • Spray Bottles – If your cat is prone to biting often, keep a spray bottle on hand.  Once it bites, immediately spray it with water.  This behavioral method will teach your cat to avoid the action that results in getting sprayed.
  • Play Areas – Set up a play area with a scratching post and toys.  This will help your cat let out its need to scratch things without hurting you or a family member.
  • Rewards – Offer rewards for good behavior!  If you notice your cat chooses to leave a situation rather than attack, offer a treat.


If you are still having trouble disciplining and training your cat, contact our office.  Our experienced veterinarians can offer tips and tricks to help improve the relationship between you and your cat. 

15 comments:

  1. Thanks for the training tips! I think it will also work for puppies because some of those things can actually be effective on puppies. Thanks for this one.

    Vets Weston

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so funny how similar this is to teaching a baby! You have to start right off the bat with your pets too. I find that if you start training them early, they will behave much better. What are some tips for traveling with your pet to the veterinarian? I always get tons of fur on my seats.
    Celine | http://www.animalcarecenters.net/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to give some of these tips to my sister. I would love to see if she could give him number 2. She has a hard time not playing with her cat even if he is being bad. http://www.swahjc.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Find My Pet Android Version is most favorite smart phone application. to reuniting their lost one with their owners.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fastidious blog you’ve got here. I’ve ever been seeing you just about many blogs recently.
    how to train a beagle

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are the best training tips I've seen! Starting the training early is so essential with a puppy too. We have been noticing some differences in our dogs behavior since we have started training our dog.
    http://www.sunvalleyanimalhospitalnc.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Personally I think overjoyed I discovered the blogs.
    John Garner Chicken Coops

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hurrah, that’s what I was trying to get for, just what a stuff Presented at this blog!! Thanks admin of the site. Antioch CA

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really need to find a new veterinarian for my cat. She doesn't work well with most vets that we have taken her to and I'm not sure why. Maybe we should just train her. http://www.warnbrovet.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  10. This text is really worth everyone’s concentration. It sounds really go0o0d. emotionalsupportanimalcenter.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't know that I could learn how to teach my animal commands from the veterinarian. That makes me want to find a great vet even more. No longer is the vet just for healthcare needs, but also for training my cat how to listen to me when I say something.
    http://www.brookswoodvet.com/services.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. To be honest, I have never tried the spray bottle for training. Maybe we should get one. I can relate with a cat scratching or biting a lot. The last cat we had always played a bit rough. I don't want to always have scratches up and down my arms. http://osullivananimalhospital.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. It really sounds like being able to have your cat play is something that can really take effort. Something that stands out is to make sure to have some kind of way to keep your cat knowing that biting is not okay. That definitely is something that is hard to know how to do. Thank you for clearing that up. http://www.gsah.ca/en/veterinary_clinic.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your piece of writing is outstanding. Nobody can compete this site to others. http://www.topsuperfoodsonline.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmmm really marvelous post! I love such information which is also helpful for my education as well. how long are dogs pregnant for

    ReplyDelete